Salmonella Lawsuit Filed Against Reptile Store

A 2-year-old boy from McHenry County was hospitalized with salmonellosis in December 2007, and his mother is blaming a snake in the grass. Or rather, a snake at the mall.

Sara Wirtz filed a lawsuit against the Serpent Safari in Gurnee Mills, alleging that her son Trevor contracted salmonella after touching a snake there. The lawsuit seeks more than $50,000 for medical expenses.

Serpent Safari is an indoor reptile park in the Gurnee Mills mall. Snakes and other reptiles are on display as well as for sale, and visitors are allowed to pet and hold some of them.

Employees “allowed and encouraged a 2-year-old child to touch or pet a snake,” says the court document.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reptiles—including snakes, lizards, and turtles—can carry salmonella without any visible signs, easily passing it along to people who touch them. The CDC recommends thoroughly washing hands after touching a reptile, and laundering any clothing that the reptile may have touched.

Read full story HERE.

Advertisements

About Candace M Hansen

Wildlife advocate, conservationist and environmentalist.
This entry was posted in Snakes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Salmonella Lawsuit Filed Against Reptile Store

  1. Shopping says:

    Good day. I’m actually fascinated on this matter. Could anyone be composing everything else regarding it?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s